    SubjectRe: umount
    Date
    On Sunday 27 November 2005 20:42, Mark Knecht wrote:
    > On 11/27/05, Grant Coady <grant_lkml@dodo.com.au> wrote:
    > > It leaves me with a little distrust of linux' handling of non-locked
    > > removable media (as opposed to lockable media like a zipdisk or cdrom).
    > >
    > > Grant.
    >
    > Under Windows, if a 1394 drive is unplugged without unmounting, it you
    > get a pop up dialog on screen telling you that data may be lost, etc.
    > while under any of the main environments I've tried under Linux
    > (Gnome, KDE, fluxbox) there are no such messages to the user. I have
    > not investigated log files very deeply, other than to say that dmesg
    > will show the drive going away but doesn't say it was a problem.
    >
    > I realize it's probably 100x more difficult to do this under Linux, at
    > least at the gui level, but I agree with your main point that my trust
    > factor is just a bit lower here.

    No, WIndows says that because it is unable to mount a partition as sync,
    unlike Linux. Linux Desktop Environments simply don't tell the user because
    no data is lost if they unplug the media.

    --
    Patrick "Diablo-D3" McFarland || diablod3@gmail.com
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids,