SubjectRe: umount
Date
On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 22:54:11 +0100 (MET), <Andries.Brouwer@cwi.nl> wrote:

>Recently I have seen cases where I/O to a device with bad media
>was never noticed (except in the syslog). I think that is bad.
>The application writes, but the stuff written lives in buffers.
>The close() still does not force file I/O.
>But the umount() causes the I/O to happen. Writes fail and the
>syslog is full of messages. But the user does not see any messages,
>the umount returns without error, and there is no reason to suspect
>that anything is wrong.
>
>I am not sure about the correct solution.
>Perhaps umount should return -EIO if it did the umount but
>I/O errors happened?

I wrote a bad boot disk recently, then I write; sync; cmp until
floppy image matched source, a user can do that if they care...

Related: observed that a USB CompactFlash adapter under windows,
the device light goes out when unmounted, but under linux the
light stays on after umount, this seems bad from usability perspective.

It leaves me with a little distrust of linux' handling of non-locked
removable media (as opposed to lockable media like a zipdisk or cdrom).

Grant.

  Last update: 2005-11-28 01:51    [W:0.078 / U:0.116 seconds]