    SubjectRe: 3Ware 9500S-12 RAID controller -- poor performance
    A single thread writing at 30MB/s is still not on par
    with 3ware's specs.

    I see that you're also running RAID5 and in this case
    3ware did report bad write performance on RAID5 and
    that was fixed with recent firmwares.

    The latest linux driver off their website also
    includes the latest firmware inside it and flashes the
    card upon load, make sure to use that.

    I'm getting a little over 50MB/s when writing to my
    RAID volume when completely idle, there's no reason
    why you should get less.

    As for read performance, nothing helps with many
    concurrent reads, what I get is simply aweful
    performance no matter what I do.

    I'll let you guys know once I try JBOD (as soon as all
    the data is moved away).

    According to Ville answering me privately:

    > Unfortunately, it's not limited to just that
    firmware version or kernel version or driver version.
    I've tried several firmwares, 2.4.x and 2.6.x kernels
    and driver version - no salvage.

    I do agree, which leads me to believe this is
    something very specific with the RAID controller
    itself or its firmware.

    Maybe something is so badly designed in this
    controller that it can't physically do better than
    that ? Anyone has experience with this controller and
    its performance on windoze?

    Can someone in the know give us some input ?

    --- "Dr. David Alan Gilbert" <> wrote:

    > > Something is very wrong with this card / driver /
    > > firmware and or kernel combination, hopefully
    > someone
    > > can help out.
    > I think I have to agree; see my post from:
    > I've got about 30MB/s from a single threaded version
    > of my
    > backup code - which seems rather on the low side for
    > a modern RAID-5; with multiple writers I was seeing
    > sub-5MB/s
    > but that might be fair if it is seeking everywhere.
    > I'd be interested to hear how your experiments with
    > jbod'ing them
    > go.
    > Dave
    > --
    > -----Open up your eyes, open up your mind, open up
    > your code -------
    > / Dr. David Alan Gilbert | Running GNU/Linux on
    > Alpha,68K| Happy \
    > \ gro.gilbert @ | MIPS,x86,ARM,SPARC,PPC
    > & HPPA | In Hex /
    > |_______/

      Last update: 2005-10-05 15:11    [W:0.023 / U:122.112 seconds]