SubjectRe: X unkillable in R state sometimes on startx , /proc/sysrq-trigger T output attached
On 10/25/05, Alessandro Suardi <alessandro.suardi@gmail.com> wrote:
> Happened to me the third time now in the last
> couple of months, always with different Linus
> kernels (plus ACX100 wireless module from
> Denis Vlasenko's snapshots) all hanging off
> an up-to-date FC4, all built with latest stock
> GCC; this last is:
>
> [root@incident ~]# cat /proc/version
> Linux version 2.6.14-rc5-git5 (asuardi@incident) (gcc version 4.0.2)
> #1 PREEMPT Tue Oct 25 14:32:46 CEST 2005
>
> Symptoms: startx at the command prompt gets
> the blank screen, then... nothing. Keyboard is
> dead (CapsLock doesn't get its led lit), no VT
> switching works. Box is still reachable via ssh
> through its wireless network card, all looks OK
> except for X running and piling up CPU time,
> and apparently untraceable (pstack, strace
> hang trying to attach it) and unkillable (kill -9
> doesn't kill it).
>
> I took a couple of SysRQ 't' dumps via the
> /proc/sysrq-trigger facility and the outcome is
> attached - actually it's a full messages log,
> startup to reboot.
>
> Exact sequence this time:
> 1. boot
> 2. insmod 0.3.17 acx driver
> -> notice I can't contact my wireless AP
> 3. rmmod it, insmod 0.3.16 driver
> -> notice I am an idiot, plug in the wireless AP power cord
> 4. rmmod 0.3.16, insmod 0.3.17, iwconfig wlan0 up
> 5. switch to VT2 (Alt-F2), login as non-root, run startx
> <blank screen, dead keyboard>
> 6. ssh in from remote box, take SysRQ dumps, reboot
>
> If anyone has an idea on what to do to try and reproduce
> and/or debug further, that'd be cool.
>
> Box is a Dell Latitude C640 laptop, PIV@1.8Ghz,
> 1GB RAM, with a USR2210 802.11b wireless
> PC Card; video card is a Radeon 7500 M7 LW.

OK, let's forget about attachments (100+ KB), the
full messages file can be found here:
http://xoomer.virgilio.it/incident/messages

Thanks again, ciao,

--alessandro

"All it takes is one decision
A lot of guts, a little vision to wave
Your worries, and cares goodbye"

(Placebo - "Slave To The Wage")

  Last update: 2005-10-25 23:29    [W:0.152 / U:0.148 seconds]