    Phillip Susi wrote:
    > I am confused. I thought that once the initramfs init execs the real
    > init, the initramfs is freed. It can't be freed if there are processes
    > that still have open files there, so that would seem to prevent any
    > processes being started in the initramfs and continuing after the real
    > system is booted.

    AFAIK it's pivoted and then umounted, which frees it. This doesn't mean
    it has to be freed.. . .

    > Jeff Bailey wrote:
    >> This is much more easily supported in Breezy. usplash is started at the
    >> top of the initramfs (from the init-top hook) and lives until we start
    >> gdm.
    >> The biggest constraint is that you don't have write access to the target
    >> root filesystem (since it's mounted readonly). However, /dev is a tmpfs
    >> that is move mounted to the new root system. If you need to have
    >> sockets open or store data, you can use that. usplash does this for its
    >> socket.
    >> Note that the initramfs startup sequence isn't at all similar to the old
    >> initrd startups. It should be easy for you to cleanly add what you want
    >> under /etc/mkinitramfs/scripts and not have to modify the
    >> initramfs-tools package. /usr/share/doc/initramfs-tools/HACKING
    >> contains some starter information.
    >> Hope this helps!
    >> Tks,
    >> Jeff Bailey

    - --

    new problems waiting out there.
    -- Eric Steven Raymond
    Version: GnuPG v1.4.1 (GNU/Linux)
    Comment: Using GnuPG with Thunderbird -

    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

      Last update: 2005-10-19 06:27    [W:0.042 / U:1.456 seconds]