    Jeff Bailey wrote:
    > Le mardi 18 octobre 2005 à 15:13 -0400, John Richard Moser a écrit :
    >>I have no idea who's the best to ask for this.
    >>I want to start a task in an initrd and have it stay running after init
    >>is started. Pretty much:
    >>What's the feasibility of this without the system balking and vomiting
    >>chunks everywhere? I'm pretty sure 'exec /sbin/init' from linuxrc
    >>(PID=1) will replace the process image of sh (linuxrc) with init,
    >>keeping PID=1; but I'm worried this may terminate children too. Haven't
    > This is much more easily supported in Breezy. usplash is started at the
    > top of the initramfs (from the init-top hook) and lives until we start
    > gdm.

    So in short it's possible?

    > The biggest constraint is that you don't have write access to the target
    > root filesystem (since it's mounted readonly). However, /dev is a tmpfs
    > that is move mounted to the new root system. If you need to have
    > sockets open or store data, you can use that. usplash does this for its
    > socket.

    That's not much of a problem for me. What I'm contemplating is a FUSE
    file system driver that gets started in the initrd, and a kernel that
    has a file system driver built-in for something stupid like cramfs or MINIX.

    The idea is that (as proof of concept) it should be possible to supply
    something like ext3 as a FUSE driver, and boot off it as the rootfs
    without building ext3 into the kernel or ever modprobing it. Besides
    just being damn cool, and a show of quasi-hybrid microkernelism at work
    (uh oh now Linus is going to remove FUSE from mainline :), it'd allow
    some real visible macro-benchmarking of FUSE.

    > Note that the initramfs startup sequence isn't at all similar to the old
    > initrd startups. It should be easy for you to cleanly add what you want
    > under /etc/mkinitramfs/scripts and not have to modify the
    > initramfs-tools package. /usr/share/doc/initramfs-tools/HACKING
    > contains some starter information.
    > Hope this helps!
    > Tks,
    > Jeff Bailey

    - --

    new problems waiting out there.
    -- Eric Steven Raymond
    Version: GnuPG v1.4.1 (GNU/Linux)
    Comment: Using GnuPG with Thunderbird -

    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

      Last update: 2005-10-18 21:43    [W:0.046 / U:72.420 seconds]