Subjectembedding 2.6 or more findings on kernel size
Date
Hello,

Compiling the 2.6.8.1 kernel, I found three interesting places (looking very
quickly, perhaps would find more) when the kernel was compiled with unused
parts:

1. it compiles everything inside /arch/i386/kernel/cpu/ . From my point of
view, that is incorrect, especially when choosing processor like Cyrix/VIA C3
(which is a cyrix, not a transmeta, nexgen or something else) and explicitly
specifying not to make generic x86 code. Perhaps, choice should be given.
About 15KB of memory wasted on this...

2. then I found it to compile a synaptics touchpad support - also must be
optional. Another something like 8KB

3. and the third thing I found is that scsi_ioctl is compiled even if SCSI
support is taken out... very interesting behaviour... another like 8KB
wasted... I have no SCSI, no USB MassStorage, no CD-RW, no nothing could
possibly use SCSI...

Many things could be put on about 100-200KB spared if not migrating to 2.6...
Perhaps, more controls should be available to configure - new kernels should
be smaller and faster, not larger, shouldn't they?

Thanks,
Dmitry

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:05    [W:0.049 / U:0.120 seconds]