SubjectRe: kernel 2.6.8 pwc patches and counterpatches

> On Fri, 2004-08-27 at 09:13, Prakash K. Cheemplavam wrote:
> > >On Fri, 27 Aug 2004, Denis Vlasenko wrote:
>
> > > If the maintainer wants it pulled, I feel it would be stealing to
> > > add it back into the kernel without his approval. Perhaps we could
> > > rewrite the driver and merge it with some other webcam driver
> > > projects.
> >

> > This is the problem. It is far easier to _feel_ something
> > than to _do_ something.
> >
> > Intersting, that in the legal case, people are having a bad feeling,
> > but in illegal case of doing reverse-engineering, drivers make it
> > into the kernel...
>

>Reverse engineering for interoperability purposes is legal even in the
>USA.

Thank you for pointing that out. Really. I mean it.

And nothing else it is.

Happy hacking.

IDA anyone? (objdump does nicely, too. I looked at the disassembler
output for about one hour today and my conclusion is that it's a pretty
simple job. Knowing the stack concept and the "mov", "call", "lea",
"add", "sub", "xor", "sar" and "sh[l|r]" instructions is enough.)

I would do it if I just had the time.

--
Thomas Winischhofer
Vienna/Austria