SubjectRe: kernel 2.6.8 pwc patches and counterpatches
On Wed, Aug 25, 2004 at 12:58:24AM +0200, Nemosoft Unv. wrote:
> Anyway....
>
> I've just about had it with the increasing
> "we-don't-want-binary-stuff-in-Linux" attitude lately. If you rip out this
> hook for PWC (pwc_register_decompressor), which would make it impossible to
> load a decompressor, closed source *OR* open source (should that happen one
> day), is going to be the last straw.

Well, I just made a patch that did just that, and applied it to my
trees.

> Without this hook, PWC will work, but with limitations, just as it always
> has. But the _user_ always had a choice of loading a closed source module
> to get the extras. If you, kernel developers, maintainers, etc. are going
> to take away that right from the _users_, I think you're way over head,
> forgetting what open source is about, IMO.
>
> I accept that the Linux kernel is the work of Linus and the maintainers, and
> they can do with it as they please, but I will not accept that they can put
> arbitrary limits on the kernel's use by me, or other users.

Think legal limits, not arbitrary.

> Anyway, before this gets too long... I'm giving you a choice here. Either:
>
> * you are going to accept that there is a driver in the Linux kernel that
> has a hook that _may_ be used to load a binary-only decompressor part into
> the kernel, at the user's disgression. Maybe, one day, that part will be
> open source too but I cannot guarantuee that.

I now realize that. So I've ripped that hook out, as it's only used to
load a binary driver, which is not allowed.

That's the change I'm going to make.

If you want to send me a patch to tell me to rip the whole driver out,
fine I will, no problems, I completly understand.

But realize that anyone can then add it back, as the work you did was
released under the GPL :)

thanks,

greg k-h

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:05    [W:0.252 / U:0.096 seconds]