SubjectRe: [linux-usb-devel] Re: kernel 2.6.8 pwc patches and counterpatches
From
On Die, 24 Aug 2004, Greg KH wrote:
> > * you are going to accept that there is a driver in the Linux kernel that
> > has a hook that _may_ be used to load a binary-only decompressor part into
> > the kernel, at the user's disgression. Maybe, one day, that part will be
> > open source too but I cannot guarantuee that.
>
> I now realize that. So I've ripped that hook out, as it's only used to
> load a binary driver, which is not allowed.
>
> That's the change I'm going to make.
>
> If you want to send me a patch to tell me to rip the whole driver out,
> fine I will, no problems, I completly understand.

Bummer. This is rubbish. And I am sure that this is not the intention of
Linus comments. IF the module would be NON functional without the closed
plugin, then yes, rip it out. But it is useable, and this hook *can* be
used for closed modules, but also for other modules.

It really looks like personal stuff going on here, not really objective
discussion on this point.

> But realize that anyone can then add it back, as the work you did was
> released under the GPL :)

And who will take over the level of support that Nemosoft has put into
this driver without the internal knowledge of the device? Good luck.

Best wishes

Norbert

Norbert Preining <preining AT logic DOT at> Technische Universität Wien