SubjectRe: O_DIRECT
Ok, I got to know what exactly is the problem ,,

Basically on my partition total sectors is not a muliple of 8 (Each
sector = 512, 4096/512=8). That is the end of the disk is not alligned
with 4096, What I am doing is, reading/writing from/to the last 8192
bytes by seeking (Negetive 8192) from the end. So this may not be 4096
byte alligned. Now the start of my read/write point WILL always be 1024
byte alligned in case of odd and even # of sectors becasue, Even number
of sectors is trivial/obvious, but in case of odd # of sectors, when we
do a SEEK_END it will always seek to the last EVEN sector of the disk.
Therefore I am always successful with 1024 byte alligned. Actually the
last sector in my case is 490223474 :)

Thank you all, special thanks to Rob van Nieuwkerk ..
Shesha

Rob van Nieuwkerk wrote:

>On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 17:00:07 -0700
>Shesha Sreenivasamurthy <shesha@inostor.com> wrote:
>
>Hi Shesha,
>
>I've always used the default softblock sizes (eg. did not alter it)
>on the devices I've dealt with (which was 1024).
>
>Did you check what this default softblock size is for your device
>(with BLKBSZGET) ?
>
>Reading my old code I noticed that I use 3 (instead of the 2 I already
>mentioned) alignment requirements:
>
> 1. read size 1024 byte aligned (= softblock size)
> 2. read buffer page aligned (4096)
> 3. read/write offset 1024 byte aligned (= softblock size)
>
>Rule 3. is important too for O_DIRECT ! It may be that rule 2. can be
>softblock aligned too, but page alignment certainly won't harm
>
> greetings,
> Rob van Nieuwkerk
>

>>You are right I am not using any file system. Just did that experiment
>>by creating FS too. That also did not help. I shared that information.
>>You are absolutely right I am dealing with straight partitions.
>>
>>(1) With staraight partition even if I explicitly set the block size to
>>4096 and adher to the rules of O_DIRECT i cannot read/write
>>
>>(2) With staraight partition if I set the block size to 1024 and adher
>>to the rules of O_DIRECT i can read/write
>>
>>Ruls include : Alligning the buffer & read/write multiple of block size.
>>
>>-Shesha
>>
>>Rob van Nieuwkerk wrote:
>>

>>>On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 16:18:37 -0700
>>>Shesha Sreenivasamurthy <shesha@inostor.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>Hi Shesha,
>>>
>>>Your original question (and my answer) was about a different situation:
>>>
>>> - partition with no filesystem
>>> - access on this raw partition
>>>
>>>Now you start talking about various file-systems and I get the impression
>>>that you access the device through the file-system (although that is
>>>not very clear in your text) on a mounted fs.
>>>
>>>What I told you applied to straight partitions (without mounted a mounted fs).
>>>
>>>I don't know the exact rules for the various file-systems.
>>>They might be different (and some might not support O_DIRECT at all).
>>>I expect the same "soft block size rules" to apply for the filesystems
>>>that *do* support O_DIRECT. Note that mounting a partition might
>>>change the softblock size of that partition used by the kernel from thereon.
>>>

>>> greetings,
>>> Rob van Nieuwkerk
>>>
>>>PS1: what kernel are you using ?
>>>
>>>PS2: what are you trying to do ?
>>>
>>>PS3: you mention "our driver ..". What is this driver ?

>>>.
>>>

>.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:04    [W:0.039 / U:0.080 seconds]