SubjectRe: O_DIRECT
You are right I am not using any file system. Just did that experiment
by creating FS too. That also did not help. I shared that information.
You are absolutely right I am dealing with straight partitions.

(1) With staraight partition even if I explicitly set the block size to
4096 and adher to the rules of O_DIRECT i cannot read/write

(2) With staraight partition if I set the block size to 1024 and adher
to the rules of O_DIRECT i can read/write

Ruls include : Alligning the buffer & read/write multiple of block size.

-Shesha

Rob van Nieuwkerk wrote:

>On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 16:18:37 -0700
>Shesha Sreenivasamurthy <shesha@inostor.com> wrote:
>
>Hi Shesha,
>
>Your original question (and my answer) was about a different situation:
>
> - partition with no filesystem
> - access on this raw partition
>
>Now you start talking about various file-systems and I get the impression
>that you access the device through the file-system (although that is
>not very clear in your text) on a mounted fs.
>
>What I told you applied to straight partitions (without mounted a mounted fs).
>
>I don't know the exact rules for the various file-systems.
>They might be different (and some might not support O_DIRECT at all).
>I expect the same "soft block size rules" to apply for the filesystems
>that *do* support O_DIRECT. Note that mounting a partition might
>change the softblock size of that partition used by the kernel from thereon.
>

> greetings,
> Rob van Nieuwkerk
>
>PS1: what kernel are you using ?
>
>PS2: what are you trying to do ?
>
>PS3: you mention "our driver ..". What is this driver ?
>

>>I could never get it working with 4096 block size.
>>
>>I created an EXT3 with blockize=4096 (mkfs.ext3 -b 4096 /dev/sda11).
>>Alligned memory to 4096 boundary. Read 8192 Bytes. -> UNSUCCESSFUL :(
>>I created an XFS with blockize=4096 (mkfs.xfs -f -b size=4096
>>/dev/sda11). Alligned memory to 4096 boundary. Read 8192 Bytes. ->
>>UNSUCCESSFUL :(
>>
>>SUCCESS HAPPEND ONLY WHEN ....
>>
>>1. I created an XFS with blockize=4096 (mkfs.xfs -f -b size=4096
>>/dev/sda11).
>> OR
>> I created an EXT3 with blockize=4096 (mkfs.ext3 -b 4096 /dev/sda11).
>>
>>2. Changed blocksizeto 1024
>>3. Alligned memory to 1024 boundary.
>>4 Read 8192 Bytes. -> SUCCESSFUL :)
>>
>>-Shesha
>>

>>Rob van Nieuwkerk wrote:
>>

>>>On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 11:01:20 -0700
>>>Shesha Sreenivasamurthy <shesha@inostor.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>Hi Shesha,

>>>Yes, see my previous emails.
>>>
>>> greetings,
>>> Rob van Nieuwkerk

>>>--
>>>Kernelnewbies: Help each other learn about the Linux kernel.
>>>Archive: http://mail.nl.linux.org/kernelnewbies/
>>>FAQ: http://kernelnewbies.org/faq/
>>>

>>>.
>>>

>.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:04    [W:0.088 / U:0.248 seconds]