Subjectarch/sparc64/Kconfig
I recently tested building the OpenIB InfiniBand drivers for sparc64.
These drivers add a new drivers/infiniband directory and hook into the
kernel config system by adding a 'source "drivers/infiniband/Kconfig"'
to the drivers/Kconfig file.

However, I discovered that arch/sparc64/Kconfig includes individual
drivers/xxx/Kconfig files rather than the main drivers/Kconfig. This
means that hooking in the infiniband Kconfig requires changing the
sparc64 Kconfig.

I looked at arch/sparc64/Kconfig and found that the only files it does
not include that are included by drivers/Kconfig are

drivers/cdrom/Kconfig
drivers/char/Kconfig
drivers/macintosh/Kconfig
drivers/message/i2o/Kconfig
drivers/misc/Kconfig

cdrom is safe because the whole thing depends on ISA. macintosh is
safe because it depends on PPC || MAC. misc is safe because it only
includes one entry that depends on X86.

So I guess my questions are, first, is there any reason why the
message/i2o and especially the char Kconfigs are left out of the
sparc64 Kconfig, and second, would a patch changing sparc64 to use the
main drivers/Kconfig be accepted?

Thanks,
Roland

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:04    [W:0.570 / U:0.132 seconds]