SubjectRe: Serial ATA (SATA) on Linux status report (2.6.x mainstream plan for AHCI and iswraid??)
Hello,

Justin Cormack wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-06-11 at 03:30, Andre Tomt wrote:
>
>>Since we're on the topic of new libata drivers, how is the Marvell
>>driver coming along? I'm getting several server units with a 4-port
>>version on-board in the not-so-distant future, it would be nice if they
>>could use all their drive bays ;-)

We have those as well. (Supermicro P4SCT+ which have a rev 03 88sx8041
part.)

> Though not as useful as a libata driver (and not GPL, though the license
> is entirely unrestrictive), there is an open source driver for the
> Marvell chipsets:
>
> http://www.highpoint-tech.com/BIOS%20%2B%20Driver/rr1820a/Linux/rr182x-openbuild-v1.02.tgz
>
> It wont build on 2.6 due to cli/sti (v. easy to fix though - its just
> the irq locking), and it only supports 8 channel chips (only a few
> #defines for PCI ids and number of ports). Intend to fix it up and test
> it next week if the libata driver not out, as I have a few of these. The
> highpoint card is the first PCI-X SATA card I have actually managed to
> get hold of, but unlike other highpoint cards is not their chipset:
>
> 03:02.0 SCSI storage controller: Marvell MV88SX5081 8-port SATA I PCI-X
> Controller (rev 03)

I have a totally different set of source code files for the
MV88SX50[4|8][0|1] chips, also open-source from Marvell (although I have
to check the exact license).

Looking at the Highpoint source code, they seem to have taken some of
the Marvell source code (mv*.*) and adapted it for their RAID system.

I am interested in doing some maintenance work on the Marvell driver,
which indeed mostly needs attention to proper locking. Also, it did
not yet support the rev 03 hardware when I downloaded it.

I found the driver source on ftp://ftp.supermicro.com, but it seems to
have been removed lately. Supermicro forwards me to Adaptec who writes
the BIOS raid system (ugh).

Regards,

Leon.
begin:vcard
fn:Leon Woestenberg
n:Woestenberg;Leon
version:2.1
end:vcard

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:03    [W:0.062 / U:0.216 seconds]