SubjectRe: Using getpid() often, another way? [was Re: clone() <-> getpid() bug in 2.6?]
Linus Torvalds wrote:

>On Sun, 6 Jun 2004, Russell Leighton wrote:
>

>>Linus said he could not imagine a program using getpid() more than a
>>handful of times...
>>

>No, I said that I could not imagine using it more than a handful of times
>_except_ for the cases of:
>
> - thread identification without a native thread area
> - benchmarking.
>
>(and in both of these cases it is _wrong_ to cache the pid value)
>

>>well, (I am ashamed to admit it) I found this getpid() bug with just
>>such a program.
>>
>>Could someone can suggest an alternative to using getpid() for me?
>>Here's the problem...
>>
>>I have a library that creates 2 threads using clone().
>>

>Your problem falls under the thread ID thing. It's fine and understandable
>to use getpid() for that, although you could probably do it faster if you
>are willing to use the support that modern kernels give you and that glibc
>uses: the "TLS" aka Thread Local Storage support.
>
>Thread-local storage involved having a user-mode register that points some
>way to a special part of the address space. On x86, where the general
>register set is very limited and stealing a general reg would thus be bad,
>it uses a segment and loads the TLS pointer into a segment register
>(segment registers are registers too - and since nobody sane uses them for
>anything else these days, both %gs and %fs are freely usable).
>

>> Would gettid() be any better?
>>

>You'd avoid this particular glibc bug with gettid.

I am facing the following problem:
I want to sum up the time spent in the main thread + all threads that
ever existed.
getrusage dosn't work (and didn't do so in pre-NPTL-times) as the time
spent in threads is not taken into account.
To work around this problem I created a map pid->time used which used
getpid in the pre-NPTL-time and looked up the time in /proc/<pid>. As
this doesn't work with NPTL, changed it to use the gettid syscall as I
didn't find a saner way.

Regards

Dominik

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:03    [W:0.989 / U:0.236 seconds]