SubjectRe: [STACK] >3k call path in reiserfs
On Thu, 10 June 2004 19:49:04 -0700, Hans Reiser wrote:
> Jörn Engel wrote:
>
> >It appears to me that most developers agree to the two point above,
> >but you have some problems with them, at least lately. Am i wrong?
>
> This is all part of what responsible release management is about. I
> was the junior whiz kid in professional release management teams before
> starting Namesys. I listened to my elders and learned from them. My
> standards for professional conduct in this arena are higher than yours
> as a result of that.
>
> You are a bunch of young kids who lack professional experience in
> release management. That is ok, but don't get aggressive about it.
>
> I have no desire to pay for your mistakes, and as the official
> maintainer it is my responsibility to ensure that neither I nor the
> users pay for the mistakes of those who add bugs to stable branches
> instead of adding them to the development branches where they belong.

Well, this ain't OpenBSD. They have a strict 6month release schedule,
so your type of development works just fine for them. Linux has
something like a very relaxed 24month+ release "schedule", which is
far too long for some people. As a result, the Linux "stable" kernel
is a lot less stable than the OpenBSD one.

But long release cycles also have their advantages and - most
important - they work with Linus. So effectively, we all have to
accept them and deal with the consequenses. I really understand and
partially share your doubts, but what does it help? ;)

Jörn

--
You can't tell where a program is going to spend its time. Bottlenecks
occur in surprising places, so don't try to second guess and put in a