    SubjectRe: scheduler: IRQs disabled over context switches
    On Mon, 24 May 2004, Ingo Molnar wrote:

    > * Davide Libenzi <> wrote:
    > > We used to do it in 2.4. What changed to make it fragile? The
    > > threading (TLS) thing?
    > it _should_ work, but in the past we only had trouble from such changes
    > (at least in the O(1) tree of scheduling - 2.4 scheduler is OK.). We
    > could try the patch below. It certainly boots on SMP x86. But it causes
    > a 3.5% slowdown in lat_ctx so i'd not do it unless there are some really
    > good reasons.

    IMO it is fine, as long as it works with IRQ disabled. There are archs
    where IRQ latencies matters more than lat_ctx times (that BTW are bogus).
    And we already have the infrastructure in place to let the arch to choose
    the way better fits it. Russel reported that a guy trying it (IRQ enabled
    ctx switch) with MIPS was having some problem with it though.

    BTW, the unlock_irq should go in prepare not finish.

    - Davide

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:03    [W:0.020 / U:17.684 seconds]