    SubjectRe: ata_piix: port disabled. ignoring.
    Matt Domsch wrote:
    > On Fri, May 14, 2004 at 03:11:00PM +0200, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
    >>I'm trying to install Linux on a SATA disk in a Dell PowerEdge 750, which has
    >>an Intel 82875P chipset with an Intel 6300ESB SATA Storage Controller.
    > [snip]
    >>I looked at ata_piix.c, and apparently the driver decides whether a port is
    >>disabled by checking a bit in PCI config space, so this looks like a BIOS setup
    >>problem to me. But the BIOS has the first SATA port enabled (`AUTO', and it
    >>does see a 80 GB disk there), while the PATA and second SATA ports are marked
    > Right. At present you need to enable the second SATA port in the
    > BIOS. Disabling it also disables the first port from being
    > recognized by the driver. It's a figment of the "compatability mode"
    > that the PE750 runs in. I believe Stuart Hayes sent Jeff a patch to
    > address this, but I can't find it handy...

    That _should_ have been fixed in the last update to ata_piix. If you
    could get Stuart to re-test and re-submit that patch if necessary, that
    would be useful.

    Geert, two things to try:
    1) Try the latest kernel
    2) Fiddle with BIOS settings until your PATA and SATA devices appear as
    _separate_ devices on the PCI bus.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:03    [W:0.022 / U:8.240 seconds]