SubjectRe: ata_piix: port disabled. ignoring.
Matt Domsch wrote:
> On Fri, May 14, 2004 at 03:11:00PM +0200, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
>>I'm trying to install Linux on a SATA disk in a Dell PowerEdge 750, which has
>>an Intel 82875P chipset with an Intel 6300ESB SATA Storage Controller.
> [snip]
>>I looked at ata_piix.c, and apparently the driver decides whether a port is
>>disabled by checking a bit in PCI config space, so this looks like a BIOS setup
>>problem to me. But the BIOS has the first SATA port enabled (`AUTO', and it
>>does see a 80 GB disk there), while the PATA and second SATA ports are marked
> Right. At present you need to enable the second SATA port in the
> BIOS. Disabling it also disables the first port from being
> recognized by the driver. It's a figment of the "compatability mode"
> that the PE750 runs in. I believe Stuart Hayes sent Jeff a patch to
> address this, but I can't find it handy...

That _should_ have been fixed in the last update to ata_piix. If you
could get Stuart to re-test and re-submit that patch if necessary, that
would be useful.

Geert, two things to try:
1) Try the latest kernel
2) Fiddle with BIOS settings until your PATA and SATA devices appear as
_separate_ devices on the PCI bus.