SubjectRe: ata_piix: port disabled. ignoring.
On Fri, 14 May 2004, Matt Domsch wrote:
> On Fri, May 14, 2004 at 03:11:00PM +0200, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> > I'm trying to install Linux on a SATA disk in a Dell PowerEdge 750, which has
> > an Intel 82875P chipset with an Intel 6300ESB SATA Storage Controller.
> [snip]
> > I looked at ata_piix.c, and apparently the driver decides whether a port is
> > disabled by checking a bit in PCI config space, so this looks like a BIOS setup
> > problem to me. But the BIOS has the first SATA port enabled (`AUTO', and it
> > does see a 80 GB disk there), while the PATA and second SATA ports are marked
> > `OFF'.
> Right. At present you need to enable the second SATA port in the
> BIOS. Disabling it also disables the first port from being
> recognized by the driver. It's a figment of the "compatability mode"
> that the PE750 runs in. I believe Stuart Hayes sent Jeff a patch to
> address this, but I can't find it handy...

Thanks for your suggestion!

Unfortunately enabling the second SATA port doesn't make a difference. I also
tried enabling the PATA port as well, but no change :-(

Geert Uytterhoeven -- Sony Network and Software Technology Center Europe (NSCE) ------- The Corporate Village, Da Vincilaan 7-D1
Voice +32-2-7008453 Fax +32-2-7008622 ---------------- B-1935 Zaventem, Belgium