    SubjectRe: ata_piix: port disabled. ignoring.
    On Fri, 14 May 2004, Matt Domsch wrote:
    > On Fri, May 14, 2004 at 03:11:00PM +0200, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
    > > I'm trying to install Linux on a SATA disk in a Dell PowerEdge 750, which has
    > > an Intel 82875P chipset with an Intel 6300ESB SATA Storage Controller.
    > [snip]
    > > I looked at ata_piix.c, and apparently the driver decides whether a port is
    > > disabled by checking a bit in PCI config space, so this looks like a BIOS setup
    > > problem to me. But the BIOS has the first SATA port enabled (`AUTO', and it
    > > does see a 80 GB disk there), while the PATA and second SATA ports are marked
    > > `OFF'.
    > Right. At present you need to enable the second SATA port in the
    > BIOS. Disabling it also disables the first port from being
    > recognized by the driver. It's a figment of the "compatability mode"
    > that the PE750 runs in. I believe Stuart Hayes sent Jeff a patch to
    > address this, but I can't find it handy...

    Thanks for your suggestion!

    Unfortunately enabling the second SATA port doesn't make a difference. I also
    tried enabling the PATA port as well, but no change :-(

    Geert Uytterhoeven -- Sony Network and Software Technology Center Europe (NSCE) ------- The Corporate Village, Da Vincilaan 7-D1
    Voice +32-2-7008453 Fax +32-2-7008622 ---------------- B-1935 Zaventem, Belgium

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:03    [W:0.020 / U:10.272 seconds]