Subject2.6.x: Multimedia keys for the Dell Inspiron 8x00 in console and X
Date
Hello,

since I switched to the 2.6.x kernel series I am having problems
properly setting up the multimedia keys available on the keyboard of
my Dell Inspiron 8200 laptop, both in console and in X.

First of all, four of these keys (Play/Pause, Stop, Prev, Next) are
not recognized by the at keyboard driver; their scancodes go from
e001 to e004. This isn't really a problem because I can map them to
the values used in previous kernels (129 to 132) with setkeycodes.

In console, the problem is that even after the mapping, the
i8kbuttons daemon that monitors usage of these key in console doesn't
seem to act. This is both with the keys that have to be mapped and
with e.g. the volume control keys that are properly seen by the
default driver with no additional user intervention. The utility
worked fine with 2.4.x kernels.

In X, the volume control buttons are seen correctly, and propetly
mapped to XF86AudioLower, Raise and Mute. The problems are with the
other four keys:

* if I do not map them with setkeycodes, X doesn't see them at all (I
can press them but xev shows no action)

* if I map them to the proper keycodes with setkeycodes, X seems to
see them "shifted" by a certain amount; for example, if I do

setkeycodes e001 129

and press the Play/Pause key, xev reports a keycode of 133 (with no
symbol attached). OTOH, the keycodes 129 to 132 are correctly mapped
to the XF86Audio* feature by the inet(inspiron) xkb configs, so it's
really a problem of the wrong keycodes getting passed through.

I would suspect xkb, if it wasn't for the i8kbuttons utility failing
too ... is there a way to have the keys behave properly?

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta

Can't you see
It all makes perfect sense
Expressed in dollar and cents
Pounds shillings and pence
(Roger Waters)

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:02    [W:0.108 / U:0.360 seconds]