SubjectRe: Hyper-threaded pickle
Len Brown wrote:
>>>Re: old systems -- we use dmi_scan to disable ACPI on systems by default
>>>on systems older than 1/1/2001.
>>
>>What happens for the no-DMI case?
>

> When DMI is not present, dmi_scan is a no-op -- so ACPI will run in
> whatever default the system is set to -- eg. "off" for FC1, and "on" for
> FC2-test1.
>
> We've found in practice that dmi_scan has been pretty effective at
> identifying the set of systems new enough to have an ACPI enabled BIOS
> but old enough that the ACPI implementation is hopeless. Though we've
> had many reports of 1/1/2001 being a bit *too* conservative -- disabling
> ACPI on systems where ACPI works fine. Indeed, there is a bugzilla
> requesting a "white-list" to enable exceptions to this date. I'm not
> enthusiastic about that plan, however. I figure there are more 3-year
> old boxes that have been running Linux w/o ACPI than there are those
> which have; and I'd rather spend my ergs on the current and upcoming
> boxes where vendors are more willing to update a broken BIOS...

Even though I have some boxes which are hurt by this, I have to agree,
although I wouldn't be unhappy if there were a few more options to
enable just parts of ACPI. There are more important things, however, and
since I can live with ACPI=force or no acpi at all it's an annoyance
rather than an issue.

I have a few machines which are never going to 2.6 because their ACPI is
totally broken and 2.6 APC no longer functions to turn the machine off.
Since I expect 2.4 to be viable longer than the machines, I have no
issues with that, either. If I don't have time to look at it why should
I ask anyone else?

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:01    [W:0.024 / U:0.300 seconds]