SubjectRe: Intel vs AMD64

Nakajima, Jun wrote:
> Thanks for the clarification.
> Yes, "implementation specific" is one of the differences between IA-32e
> and AMD64, i.e. that behavior is architecturally defined on AMD64, but
> on IA-32e (as I posted):
> Near branch with 66H prefix:
> As documented in PRM the behavior is implementation specific and
> should
> avoid using 66H prefix on near branches.

In other words, Intel's implementation deviates from the architecture as
defined by AMD. So it's not 100% compatible. I just want this point to
be clear.

If these sorts of branches are common enough (and I suspect they are),
then this sort of deviation could have a notable code-size (and L1)
impact on code which is compiled to be compatible with both implementations.

Why did Intel decide to do that?