    SubjectRe: Does anyone still care about BSD ptys?
    On Mon, Feb 09, 2004 at 01:27:24PM -0500, Richard B. Johnson wrote:

    > > > Only people who want to log-in from the network..... Of course
    > > > you could force a re-write of all the stuff like telnet, adding
    > > > another layer of bugs that'll take another N years to find and
    > > > remove.
    > >
    > > What are you talking about? On my system (Debian Sid) there are no BSD
    > > pty's (i removed the device nodes) and everything works without even a
    > > recompile.
    > >
    > > Regards,
    > > Dominik
    > Really? Then you don't have anybody trying to log-in
    > from the network using telnet, then do you?

    Really? How do you diagnose my system without even logging in?

    [kubla@duron] telnet server1
    Connected to
    Escape character is '^]'.
    [SSL - attempting to switch on SSL]
    [SSL - handshake starting]
    [SSL - OK]
    Last login: Tue Feb 10 12:03:36 2004 from on pts/0
    Linux server1 2.6.0-1-k7 #2 Sun Jan 11 17:06:46 EST 2004 i686 GNU/Linux

    The programs included with the Debian GNU/Linux system are free software;
    the exact distribution terms for each program are described in the
    individual files in /usr/share/doc/*/copyright.

    Debian GNU/Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent
    permitted by applicable law.
    You have mail.
    [kubla@server1] tty
    [kubla@server1] ls -l /dev/pts/0
    crw------- 1 kubla tty 136, 0 Feb 10 12:08 /dev/pts/0

    > The BSD virtual terminals go in pairs, /dev/ptyp* /dev/ttyp*
    > Here, rjohnson is logged in using telnet. The code is so common
    > that there is even some C runtime library support in later
    > C libraries, it's called forkpty(). `man forkpty`. It does a lot
    > of the dirty-work of using BSD virtual terminals.

    Try removing you BSD pty's and most likely you will see that telnetd
    happily uses System V pty's. If not then you should really update your
    telnetd. Both netkit-telnetd and telnetd-ssl, which is derived from it,
    can use System V-ptys since at least 5 years, probably even longer.
    If both BSD and System V pty's are present on the system, the code will use
    BSD. (That's why i removed the BSD pty's in the first place!)

    "Conversion, fastidious Goddess, loves blood better than brick, and feasts
    most subtly on the human will."
    -- Virginia Woolf, "Mrs. Dalloway"

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:00    [W:0.035 / U:17.704 seconds]