SubjectRe: is killing zombies possible w/o a reboot?
    Hi Bill :)

* Bill Davidsen <> dixit:
> > Or write a little program that just 'wait()'s for the specified
> >PID's. That is perfectly portable IMHO. But I must admit that the
> >preferred way should be killing the parent. 'init' will reap the
> >children after that.
> You can't wait() for the process, you have to use waitfor(), and the
> last time I tried that it didn't work, although I don't remember the
> symptom beyond that.

You can't wait for other's children. OTOH, if we talk about your
children, you can do wait() or waitpid() (I assume that you referred
to waitpid(), since there isn't waitfor() AFAIK). The only difference
is that wait suspends the process until information from a child is

If you are talking about others' children, then your call to
waitpid() (or wait()) failed with ECHILD: not your child.

Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado

Linux Registered User 88736 &

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:07    [W:0.174 / U:8.812 seconds]