    SubjectRe: is killing zombies possible w/o a reboot?
    DervishD wrote:
    > Hi Bill :)
    >
    > * Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com> dixit:
    >
    >>> Or write a little program that just 'wait()'s for the specified
    >>>PID's. That is perfectly portable IMHO. But I must admit that the
    >>>preferred way should be killing the parent. 'init' will reap the
    >>>children after that.
    >>
    >>You can't wait() for the process, you have to use waitfor(), and the
    >>last time I tried that it didn't work, although I don't remember the
    >>symptom beyond that.
    >

    > You can't wait for other's children. OTOH, if we talk about your
    > children, you can do wait() or waitpid() (I assume that you referred
    > to waitpid(), since there isn't waitfor() AFAIK). The only difference
    > is that wait suspends the process until information from a child is
    > available.

    Yes, thank you, I was thinking "wait for the PID" and typed that.

    > If you are talking about others' children, then your call to
    > waitpid() (or wait()) failed with ECHILD: not your child.

    That's what happened when I tried it a few months ago. I suppose one
    could try sending a SIGCHLD to the parent and see if it does something
    helpful.

    --
    -bill davidsen (davidsen@tmr.com)