Subjectipw2100/ipw2200 firmware license

As some of you may be aware, there has recently been some confusion about the
terms of the license covering the firmware for the Intel PRO/Wireless network
adapters (raised on the mailing list last week). The key question by Linux
users/distributors revolves around whether or not the firmware license supports
redistribution. The answer is (as many of you know) "yes".

I've spent some time speaking with our legal team to try and clarify the issue
and so have put together a few quick usage questions that try and illustrate how
the license works. You can find those questions and their answers at
http://ipw2100.sf.net/firmware_faq.php

For various reasons (many of which have been touched on in this mailing list in
many different threads) Intel can not change the terms of the license to support
what some refer to as an "unencumbered" or "non-restrictive" license. We
recognize the need of the Linux community to be able to freely (as in beer)
redistribute the firmware and the license supports that.

If you have any questions about the license, or need further clarification,
please don't hesitate to send me an email off list.

Thanks,
James
ipw2100 / ipw2200 project maintainer
Intel Corporation

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:07    [W:0.414 / U:0.028 seconds]