    SubjectRe: BK kernel workflow
    On Fri, Oct 29, 2004 at 02:06:25PM -0400, Stephen Frost wrote:
    > * Larry McVoy ( wrote:
    > > On Fri, Oct 29, 2004 at 07:19:05PM +0200, Ram?n Rey Vicente wrote:
    > > > In Spain, reverse engineering is allowed for interoperability.
    > [...]
    > > Given that BK isn't hiding anything, the "reverse engineering for
    > > interoperability" does not apply. Hello? Anyone listening? Didn't
    > > think so. Sigh.
    > (Not actually following the conversation, but this caught my eye)
    > If I had a license to run BK and was using it and later that license was
    > revoked such that I could no longer run BK, is there sufficient
    > documentation provided that I could write code to read my
    > data/metadata/etc off of the disk w/o using BK?

    We can't reach out and revoke your license arbitrarily. Even if we put
    into the license that we could do that, it's not enforceable. That's more
    or less blackmail "gimme all your money or I'll revoke your license".

    While the BK haters love to spread FUD about us having that ability
    that's just nonsense, it would never stand up in any court.

    So it's a moot point. We aren't going to revoke your license, you get
    to revoke your license by violating the terms.

    As for the on disk format, sure, you can dig it out. It's loosely
    derived from the SCCS format, we used to be compatible with SCCS but we
    dropped that because it was too restrictive. But you could go get CSSC
    and tweak it enough to get your data out.

    If you are worried about this, the easiest way to make sure that you are
    safe is park a clone of your tree on There is no license
    required to get at the data over the web and all the data and metadata
    is right there. If you are worried that we'd drop you could
    hire a neutral third party, get them to run their own BK server, park
    your data there, and you have the same thing.

    We don't do lockins. Period. You can get out of BK if that's what you
    want to do. This is a good time to note that we have a >99% renewal
    rate w/ our commercial customers. But the ones that wanted to get
    out, I think there have been 2 or 3, got all their data out and all
    their history out.
    Larry McVoy lm at

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:07    [W:0.022 / U:42.104 seconds]