    SubjectRe: Use of AI for process scheduling

    Felipe Alfaro Solana wrote:
    > On Mon, 2003-09-08 at 21:28, Timothy Miller wrote:
    >>Basically, we need to write and install into the kernel an AI engine
    >>which uses user feedback about the "feel" of the system to adjust
    >>heuristics dynamically. For instance, if the user sees that the system
    >>is misbehaving, they can pause the system in the kernel debugger,
    >>examine process priorities, and indicate what "outputs" from the AI
    >>engine are wrong. It then learns from that. Heuristics can be tweaked
    >>until things run as desired. At that point, scheduler developers trade
    >>emails in the AI heuristic language.
    > I'm no kernel expert but I think that doing what you suggest would take
    > an enormous amount of time and resources to do. Also, the scheduler must
    > be a real-time piece of software, and needs to take decisions as fast
    > and as accurately as possible. I think that implementing an IA-like
    > engine would take an great deal of resources. By the time the IA-like
    > scheduler has taken its decision, the whole world could have changed
    > since.

    The AI scheduler is only used for _development_.

    For deployment, the rules learned from the AI scheduler are converted to
    C code (or compiled directly to machine language) and used in real-time.
    I don't expect the rules to be so complex that the C version would use
    much more CPU than the current interactive schedulers being worked on by
    Con, Ingo, and Nick.

    During development, the AI scheduler would be used in real-time, and
    that would have a significant effect on the performance of the system.
    But since it's a constant, the relative interactive behavior should be
    about the same between AI and deployed versions, even though the AI
    version uses a lot more CPU time in the kernel. That is, if the system
    works well with the AI scheduler, it'll work even BETTER with the
    compiled version.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:48    [W:0.022 / U:3.240 seconds]