    SubjectRe: log-buf-len dynamic
    On Mer, 2003-09-24 at 04:45, Larry McVoy wrote:
    > Oh, I agree. The problem space changes and you have to move with it.
    > I was just pointing out that by not learning from others you put yourself
    > at a disadvantage. There are a lot of bright minds in the Linux space,
    > there is no question of that. But they would do so much better if they
    > understood the past. The past holds a lot of information, ignoring it
    > is a disadvantage.

    It isnt just sizes. As the size has risen rapidly the disk data rates
    have increased pretty well (factor of about 100 over an MFM disk 386)
    but the seek time has shifted by a factor of 10. This has a huge impact
    on the whole basic theory of things like paging in applications versus
    doing a streaming preload of the code/data.

    It also has a big impact on how swap is managed - it is pretty much as
    cheap now to swap out 2Mb as 4K

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:48    [W:0.026 / U:42.888 seconds]