SubjectRe: linux-2.6.0-test2-mm2 with BadRAM patch
 --- Harold Wheaton <hew@gate.net> wrote: > Hello Steven.  My name is Harold
and I happened to get your recent
> BadRAM patch running on the linux-2.6.0-test2-mm2 kernel.
>
> I just upgraded to 2.6 today, and since I do have a minor memory
> problem, I needed to get BadRAM going. Fortunately I found your post
> with the compressed patch (which that one is indeed not corrupt) and got
> it in there without any difficulty. It's coming up with the
> announcement about "4k BadRAM".
>
> So far the kernel is rock solid and I've tested games and multimedia,
> but I'm not really sure if I'm a great test case. I have 1 gig of RAM
> with one intermittently bad bit at around the 250 meg spot, making it
> tough to gauge the patch's effectiveness. Also, I am not running
> HighMem as I've read that it may expose a dormant bug on these newer
> kernels.
A bug in BadRAM or the kernel proper? There was/is a bug in the original
BadRAM patch with HighMem though it should be fixed in my patch. It might be
worth you trying it.

> I hope this helps in case you are still concerned about the patch.
> Thank you for getting it to kernel version 2.6 and I think we all hope
> that it can make it in the official baseline at some point so that
> regular users will be able to take advantage of it.
> -Harold

Yes, it does seem to be okay. I had unfortunatly made my system unstable by
tweaking the chipset PCI configuration space. The tweaking was stable on 2.4.x
so I had assumed it wasn't the problem... it was! 2.6 seems to put more stress
on the system (probably due to CPU optimized memcopy's or something similar).

Thankyou for the feedback.

=====
Steve