SubjectRe: kernel 2.6.0-test1 refuses to boot on a PC with AMD Athlon XP 1800+ (another one)

Hello all

For the impatients: you may want to try kernel option "video=vga16:off"

I have also suffered this blank screen probleme after
"Uncompressing Linux... Ok, booting the kernel "
on a Compaq Evo N800c laptop.

After tests and checkings I am pretty sure that in my case:

* It was not related to the misconfiguration issue mentionned in
http://www.codemonkey.org.uk/post-halloween-2.5.txt
Yes, my config file contained:
CONFIG_VT=y
CONFIG_VT_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_VGA_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_INPUT=y

* It was not related with the processor type in .config, as suggested by
Herbert Potzl on this list.

I found this "video=vga16:off" solution by chance after heavy mail-list
archive browsing. I do not really understand what this tricks does, but it
certainly makes my laptop boot ok (in old text console, but I don't care).
Seems like something broken concerning my radeon and console graphics in
2.6. I will do some more testing before submitting a proper bug-report.

Hope that this can help some of you...

Pierre Letouzey

Details of my hardware:
Compaq Evo N800c
CPU P-IV (M) 1,8Go
Chipset Intel 82845
ATI Technologies Inc Radeon Mobility M7 LW [Radeon Mobility 7500]
RAM 775 MB
HDD 30 GB

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:47    [W:0.021 / U:0.444 seconds]