SubjectRe: kernel 2.4.21 crash
On Wed, Jun 18, 2003 at 11:40:20PM +0100, Dave Bentham wrote:
> However, I think I need some advice on setting up the serial console. I
> have attached another PC (WinXP with HyperTerminal) serially to my panic
> Linux PC. Following the Remote Terminal HOWTO I have achieved some
> success... but all I see on HyperTerminal is:
>
> LILO 22.3.2 boot:
> BIOS data check successful

That output is from LILO...

> Mandrake Linux release 9.0 (dolphin) for i586
> Kernel 2.4.21 on an i686 / ttyS0
> telekon.davesnet login:

...and that bit is from the getty launched in /etc/inittab.

> a few progress-dots: I'm missing the main kernel blurb (its all on the
> attached monitor), and also the panic stuff appears only on the attached
> monitor.

Yeah, the kernel's serial console isn't kicking in.

> Excerpt of butchered lilo.conf

<snip>

> image = /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.21
> root = /dev/hda3
> label = Linux_2.4.21
> read-only
> # vga=788
> append = "devfs=mount hdd=ide-scsi console=tty0 console=ttyS0,9600n8"

That looks basically right. The kernel you're running may not be
compiled with serial console support. Also, you might want to swap the
order of the two console= options so that /dev/console refers to your
real virtual console, but that shouldn't keep the serial console from
working. You might try dropping the 'n8'...I don't use it here although
it is documented. I vaguely recall having problems that went away when
I stopped (redundantly) specifying the character format --but that could
be hogwash. My bet is the kernel not being built with serial console
support.

--Adam

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:36    [W:0.122 / U:0.012 seconds]