    SubjectRe: patch for common networking error messages

    From: Janice Girouard <>
    Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 19:44:22 -0500

    It sounds like you are proposing a new family for the netlink

    From: "David S. Miller" <>

    Date:06/16/2003 08:19 PM

    Exactly, you have to create this.

    Okay. That solves the issue of events generated in a plethora of formats
    for the same event. Any suggestions on what should be included in this new
    family? I can present a patch to suggest a starting point. However, it
    would be great to hear from everyone that has any initial thoughts.

    One question that comes to mind, since there is some overlap with netdev
    notifier events, should we include those events in the new family? I can
    envision a couple of approaches:

    1) keep the two interfaces (netdev notifier and netlink), with separate end
    users in mind and duplicate the events to each interface. Possibly
    thinking about migrating to just one interface over time. Applications
    would then just receive one set of events.

    2) keep the two interfaces, with no duplication of messages, clarifying the
    uses for the two interfaces. An application would then register, and
    obtain events from the two separate mechanisms.

    p.s. thanks for all the input so far.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:36    [W:0.046 / U:27.244 seconds]