SubjectRe: [Linux-ia64] Re: web page on O(1) scheduler
On Wed, 21 May 2003, Olivier Galibert wrote:

> On Wed, May 21, 2003 at 03:12:12PM +0200, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> > if you had spent the time you spent on this colorful graphic on reading
> > SUS or Posix about what sched_yield() means, you would actually have
> > learned something. sched_yield() means "I'm the least important thing in
> > the system".
>
> Susv2:
>
> DESCRIPTION
>
> The sched_yield() function forces the running thread to relinquish
> the processor until it again becomes the head of its thread list. It
> takes no arguments.
>

> Aka "I skip the rest of my turn, try the others again once", not "I'm
> unimportant" nor "please rerun me immediatly".
>
> What is it with you people wanting to make sched_yield() unusable for
> anything that makes sense?

Have to agree, I have a context switching benchmark which uses a spinlock
in shared memory for do-it-yourself gating, and it wants sched_yeild() to
be useful on uni. The SuS is pretty clear about this, the useful behaviour
is also the required behaviour, why are people resisting doing it that
way?

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
CTO, TMR Associates, Inc