SubjectRe: [Linux-ia64] Re: web page on O(1) scheduler
From
On Thu, May 22, 2003 at 05:18:02AM +1000, Duraid Madina wrote:
> Arjan van de Ven wrote:
>
> >if you had spent the time you spent on this colorful graphic on reading
> >SUS or Posix about what sched_yield() means
>
> Quoth the man page,
>
> "A process can relinquish the processor voluntarily without blocking by
> calling sched_yield. The process will then be moved to the end of the
> queue for its static priority and a new process gets to run."

This assumes the implementation uses queues, one per
priority level.
And even if it does, the process may be the only one with that
priority, making this a useless way of giving up "some time".
It'll still get rescheduled over and over and prevent
lower-priority processes from running.

> How you get from there to "I'm the least important thing in the system"
> is, once again, beyond me. And even if that were a reasonable
> interpretation of the word 'yield', you would still hope that more than
> one CPU would get something to do if there was enough work to go around.
> Agreed, "spinning" on sched_yield is a very naive way of doing
> spinlocks. But that doesn't change the fact that it's a simple and
> correct way. One would have hoped that calling sched_yield every few
> million cycles wouldn't break the scheduler.

The way I understand it, the scheduler doesn't "break". You just
get a lot of useless busy waiting.

Helge Hafting

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:35    [W:0.114 / U:1.116 seconds]