    SubjectRe: kernel support for non-english user messages
    On Thu, 2003-04-10 at 16:36, John Bradford wrote:
    > > There is a lot of anti-VMS stuff in the Unix world mostly coming
    > > from the _horrible_ command line and other bad early memories. There
    > > is also a hell of a lot of really cool stuff under that command line
    > > we could and should learn from.
    >
    > When are we going to see versioned filesystems in Linux? That was a
    > standard feature in VMS.

    it shouldn't be that hard, it was one of the 6 OS projects for the
    regular 4000 level (senior/grad) level OS class here at columbia last
    semster.

    The assignment was to modify ext2 to support versioning, basically means
    making a copy of it within ext2's open, if it's opened O_RDWR. The
    assignment was a little bit more complicated in that we took an ext2
    flag bit to mean "version", so that a file would only be versioned if
    the bit was set, as well as only allowing a single level of versioning,
    though extending it w/ more wouldn't be that hard.

    The student solutions (as well as our sample solution) weren't that
    "pretty", but then again, each project was only for 2-2.5 weeks.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:34    [W:0.020 / U:0.268 seconds]