    Subjectkernel support for non-english user messages

    I wish to suggest a possible 2.6 or 2.7 feature (too late for 2.4.x and
    2.5.x, I believe) that I believe would be helpful. Currently, printk
    messages are all in english, and I was wondering if printk could be
    modified to print out user messages that are in the default language of
    the machine. For example,

    printk(KERN_WARN "This driver is messed up!\n", 'en'); //Prints the
    english text .

    printk(KERN_WARN "This driver is messed up!\n", 'wel'); //Prints the
    welsh translation of the english text.

    printk(KERN_WARN "This driver is messed up!\n", getdefaultlanguage());

    I'm looking for a possible uniform design to make this happen, short of
    adding a complete machine translation module to the kernel. :) Userland
    internationalization support is already provided(I haven't personally
    used other languages besides English, but I've seen the options), but a
    kernel module or printk addition that handles localized kernel messages
    seems reasonable.

    Thoughts, comments?

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:34    [W:0.052 / U:14.624 seconds]