SubjectRe: 2.5.64-mm6, a new test case for scheduler interactivity problems
----- Original Message -----
From: Charles Baylis <cb-lkml@fish.zetnet.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 22:01:02 +0000
To: linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
Subject: 2.5.64-mm6, a new test case for scheduler interactivity problems

> I've just installed 2.5.64-mm6, and I've tried out the new improved
> scheduler and it's definately not there yet. I can easily cause ogg
> playback to skip (for example) by changing virtual desktop in windowmaker
> to busy konqueror window. X is not reniced (has a nice level of 0)

I cannot reproduce your problems... same scenario: 2.5.64-mm6,
KDE desktop, XFree86 4.3.0 (no nice).

> My experience suggests that skips occur when more than one interactive task
> starts to become a CPU hog, for example X and konqueror can be idle for
> long periods, and so become interactive, but during an intensive redraw
> they briefly behave as CPU hogs but maintain their interactive bonus this
> means that ogg123 has to wait until the hogs complete their timeslice
> before being scheduled.

Can't reproduce...

> My test case tries to reproduce this by creating a number of tasks which
> alternate between being 'interactive' and CPU hogs. On my Celery 333 laptop
> it can sometimes cause skips with only 1 child, and is pretty much
> guaranteed to cause skips with more child tasks.

I have a Pentium III Mobile 700 Mhz, anyways...

> To compile use 'gcc -o thud thud.c'
>
> To reproduce, I:
> run ogg123 somefile.ogg in one xterm
> run ./thud 1 in another xterm

No ways... I start ogg123 to reproduce a very long file and then,
launched ./thud 20 (yes, 20, but I also tried with 2 and 1), but
ogg123 doesn't skip. No way, I can't make it skip.

Try doing

echo 50 > /proc/sys/sched/max_timeslice

and see if it helps.
Thanks!