    SubjectPatches, effort, motivation
    Hi,

    I'm getting to the point of completely giving up kernel development
    outside the ARM tree, which basically means leaving serial, pci, and
    pcmcia to other people.

    I have been trying for the last 5 days to get Linus to accept two
    patches small patches:

    1. a patch to register tty_devclass using postcore_initcall().

    This is necessary before I can push the next set of serial changes.
    Without it, the serial layer will oops in sysfs when it tries to
    register drivers.

    2. a patch to restore the PCI device probing, so we don't probe
    all functions when we discover that function 0 is not present.
    This is the behaviour we had prior to 2.5.64.

    Both of these patches have been sent to Linus several times over the
    past 5 days, and each time they have been completely ignored without
    explaination.

    I have a huge pile of patches backing up here. I'm at the point where
    I'm going to give up updating them to bk-curr, and testing them before
    sending each to Linus due to the number of patches. Going around this
    loop just takes too much of my time to make it worth while.

    My backlog currently consists of:

    8 PCI patches (1 needs to be further cut up)
    10 PCMCIA patches (1 needs to be further cut up)
    1 tty_io.c patch
    16 serial csets

    there are some dependencies between these patches, and getting the stuff
    applied in the right order is absolutely paramount to ensure that things
    don't break.

    So, any suggestions on how to handle this better, and above all get Linus
    to start applying stuff?

    --
    Russell King (rmk@arm.linux.org.uk) The developer of ARM Linux