SubjectRe: Linux BUG: Memory Leak
For starters, read (and apply!) everyone else's comments re politeness,
proper information to include, etc.

But to add some info in a "Me too":

System has 1G lowmem (the AA vm patches) and showed almost the same
symptoms last night after 1wk of uptime. Its now been up for about 14
hours with several large processes, agp, etc all going and is - yet
again - running out of memory. (After booting and logging in, 130 megs
was used.. and that was it.)

Kernel: 2.4.20 + patches (see list below)
Memory: PC133 @ 133 - 1024M lowmem, 0M highmem, 2048M swap
Disk: AIC7xxx + LVM1 (raid0)
CPU: Tbird 1.2G non-overclocked
Added modules: lm-sensors, alsa, gatos radeon hardware-gl for X 4.2.0 (X
ver 4.2.1)
Config: Attached

I showed up last night to find it was 900 megs into swap and (relatively
slowly) climbing, but nothing in ps showed a particularly large memory
usage (largest was X, which was - AFAIU - likely to be a mix of "X
leaks" and agp/vidram buffers.. and it was 200M total). Killed off X
and the other largish apps (apache at 30M, etc..) such that ps showed
well under 300 megs of total VM accounted for. But free still showed
950 megs of ram and 100 megs of swap in use. /proc/meminfo showed some
of it (300 megs or so) as buffers, only 16M in cache.

Its been rebooted to the same workload and the same kernel, and happened
again. That info is attached below.

Basically the patches come from the debian kernel-patch-ck package:

O(1) and batch scheduler (ck)
Author: Ingo Molnar

Fix for a locking bug in wait_on_page, wait_on_buffer, get_request_wait
(ck)
See the URL below for information on what this patch fixes.