    SubjectRe: Linux BUG: Memory Leak
    At 06:49 AM 3/12/2003 +0000, M. Soltysiak wrote:
    >I sent this here because i don't know which author screwed up.

    I note that diplomacy isn't your strong suite.

    >System specs:
    >1 GBytes RAM
    >duel CPU system; 1 Ghz each.
    >IDE disk system, 133 Mhz bus speed, DMA.
    >USB mouse.
    >PS/2 Keyboard.
    >Creative Labs emu10k1-based sound card. (LIVE!)
    >Asus Motherboard.

    Which kernel version, and how much swap (0?).

    >When I boot the system, run X11 with KDE--totalling 100 M at most--things
    >are fine.
    >When I run applications that use quite a bit of memory -- those that use
    >500 Megs of RAM -- Linux keeps on allocating memory until it's full. When
    >full, system acts dead, as expected from the bad VM design. But why does
    >the system allocate memory until the RAM is full? User applications are
    >NOT leaking memory.

    What are you basing these assertions upon?

    >Example: Installing Unreal Tournament 2003 -- from the CD drive, IDE --
    >for example, playing mp3 files and browsing the web with Mozilla, and the
    >system will eventually allocate memory until the system freezes. All of
    >RAM is allocated, and the system is frozen.

    Please post a detailed report including kernel version, process sizes and
    /proc/slabinfo just prior to live-lock. This report is useless. (not to
    mention arrogant)

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:33    [W:0.020 / U:17.544 seconds]