SubjectRe: Why is hotplug a kernel helper?
Tim Hockin wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 03, 2003 at 06:29:12PM -0800, Greg KH wrote:
>
>>I would suggest reading this post from Linus for a quick summary:
>> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=105552804303171
>

> I don't really see what's so bad about acpid. The code is dead simple.
> Now, I'm not saying it is better than hotplug, but I really don't see them
> as being too different.
>
> Sorry to chime in :)

I have no idea how acpid/cardmgr bloated.
So will go abstract.

But this is common observation: event managers tend to be bloated.
Rationale: "Let's work around this bug here". Very common.

I'm implementing couple of event daemons right now - I have had hard
time to protect them and force bugs being fixed in right place (test
department screams, driver developers are saying this is "just couple
lines of codes in daemon and tens in driver" - hopefully I do have good
management, so B.S. aka bullshit is no go here. I'm really lucky).

So to not to have hard time doing simple things - hotplug just does
prohibit complicated/stateful processing implicitely.

But, yeah, sure, any one can work around it - just make event handler
a simple redirector to event handling daemon ;-)))

my 0.02 euros.

P.S. take a look at mount... nfs hooks, smbfs hooks... -o handling is
just mess. All this mess for you can simply say "mount this there".
Nice ;)

--
Ihar 'Philips' Filipau / with best regards from Saarbruecken.
-- _ _ _

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:59    [W:0.057 / U:0.228 seconds]