SubjectRe: Serial ATA (SATA) for Linux status report
Date
In article <3FCE737C.1080105@pobox.com>,
Jeff Garzik <jgarzik@pobox.com> wrote:
>Andre Tomt wrote:
>> On Wed, 2003-12-03 at 21:44, Jeff Garzik wrote:
>>
>>>Intel ICH5
>>>----------
>>>non-standard SATA port controls.
>
>> One question - with "including hotplug", does that mean some set hotplug
>> standard? Reason I'm asking is, we have a few servers from SuperMicro,
>> with a ICH5R S-ATA controller that claims it's supporting hotplug, but
>> hotplug is not in your ICH5-summary.
>
>Alas, there is no hotplug support in the ICH5 or ICH5-R SATA hardware.
>
>One could argue there is "coldplug" support in that hardware -- disable
>the entire interface, including any active devices, then re-enable and
>re-scan -- but it's a bit of a hack. If there's enough demand, I could
>write some code for that.

Please. Several vendors now have 1U boxes with 2 swappable SATA
drives, and many of those vendors (e.g. supermicro) use
motherboards with the ICH5 SATA chipset.

We're about to buy a few too, and we intend to use the drivers
in RAID0 mode. The ability to swap a drive without powering down
the whole box is quite essential.

Mike.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:59    [W:0.322 / U:0.216 seconds]