    SubjectRe: Serial ATA (SATA) for Linux status report
    On Thu, 2003-12-04 at 00:36, Jeff Garzik wrote:
    > Andre Tomt wrote:
    > > One question - with "including hotplug", does that mean some set hotplug
    > > standard? Reason I'm asking is, we have a few servers from SuperMicro,
    > > with a ICH5R S-ATA controller that claims it's supporting hotplug, but
    > > hotplug is not in your ICH5-summary.
    > Alas, there is no hotplug support in the ICH5 or ICH5-R SATA hardware.
    > One could argue there is "coldplug" support in that hardware -- disable
    > the entire interface, including any active devices, then re-enable and
    > re-scan -- but it's a bit of a hack. If there's enough demand, I could
    > write some code for that. It would involve something like
    > # /sbin/sata off
    > { plug in or remove a device }
    > # /sbin/sata on
    > You really, really, really don't want to actually unplug a SATA drive
    > while it's active, on ICH5 hardware.

    Hmm. There is a backplane involved, that might change things a little.

    Quoting the manual:
    "A Serial ATA controller is incorporated into the 875P chipset to
    provide a two-port Serial ATA subsystem, which is RAID 0 and RAID 1
    supported. The Serial ATA drives are hot-swappable units. Note: The
    operating system you use must have RAID support to enable the hot-swap
    capability and RAID function of the Serial ATA drives."

    "The Serial ATA drives plug into a backplane that provides power, drive
    ID and bus termination. A RAID controller can be used with the backplane
    to provide data security. The operating system you use must have RAID
    support to enable the hot-swap capability of the Serial ATA drives."

    The wording here is a little confusing, but hot-swap seems to work quite
    well with intels windows fakeraid-drivers, at least. One just pushes the
    "i'm going to pull you out now"-button on the tray, and pull the drive
    tray out. Maybe it triggers an event to the fakeraid-driver, wich then
    powers down the bus? black backplane-magic?

    Anyways, REAL S-ATA hardware RAID controllers are pretty cheap over here

    [trimmed off linux-scsi]

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:59    [W:0.032 / U:89.832 seconds]