    SubjectRe: DevFS vs. udev
    On Tue, 2003-12-23 at 20:52, Ian Kent wrote:

    > It certainly seems like a good project for a someone, such as myself, that
    > is new to kernel development.

    Please take no offense to this, but it is an awful project for someone
    new to kernel development. Plenty of knowledgeable/semi-knowledgeable
    kernel hackers looked at devfs and given up on it. Despite what some
    people say about Richard, he is a good guy, and he did not succeed
    either.

    devfs is hard to get right and, worse, you will be starting with a bad
    base of code that I would not want to touch with an 18.72 foot pole.

    Greg, via udev, has made it so easy to just back up, slowly, and walk
    away from devfs. devfs is not going anywhere in 2.6, I do not think,
    but let sleeping piles of crap sleep and let's just jettison this thing
    as soon as we can.

    Just my two cents - I am warning you ;)

    Rob Love

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:59    [W:0.023 / U:0.120 seconds]