SubjectRe: Things that Longhorn seems to be doing right
Date
Hi Hans,
hi LKML,

On Saturday 01 November 2003 19:45, Hans Reiser wrote:
> Ingo Oeser wrote:
> >2) In a out-of-the-box Linux system its getting harder and harder to find
> > the issuer of a search request to do the refinement.
> >
> >The latter is due to heavy asynchronity of modern user interfaces.
> >
> >I have usally several consoles, several xterms with screen in them,
> >several desktops with xterms and other programs, several X-Servers
> >running, some screen sessions attached to some virtual terminals and
> >some people even have multihead.
> >
> >Where does the refinement get sent to, without application support?

> probably looking at the DISPLAY environment variable for the relevant
> process is the right answer.

It's not always passed through, since each layer only knows the relative
issuer, but not the absolute one. And some systems just have a piece of
memory and a semaphore for notification.

This is a bit hard. Try it experimentally to get a notification done for
each leaf UI in the UI tree situation decribed above. My desktop is KDE
3.1.4, to ease your experiment.

Regards

Ingo Oeser

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:58    [W:0.285 / U:0.192 seconds]