SubjectRE: 2.7 thoughts
Date
Gabor,
Here's a first "2.7 thoughts" listing with some questions...

2.7 features

* slab allocation quota
* ntfs full support
* kernel web server (Interfaced to Roman config tool)
* ipc to sysfs
* complete user quota centralization
* Add _responsibilities_ for virtual process tree and possible
relation in oops cases
* Does the whole proc vm stuff root/box relevant ?I don't think
so....Hence, those proc entries deserve security relevant attributes
* Devices should be limited as well against bad usage(floppy defect),
viral activity(netcard rush)...
* All this guides me to a more global conclusion in which all that
stuff should be kobject registration relevant
* Meanwhile, we don't have a kobject <-> security bridge :(

* bind mount support for all general mount options (nodev,ro,noexec etc)
with SECURE implementation with any (maybe even future) filesystems?

* union mount (possible with option to declare on what fs a new file
should be created: on fixed ones, random algorithm, on fs with the
largest free space available etc ...)
<LVM ?

* guaranteed i/o bandwidth allocation?
* netfilter's ability to do tricks which OpenBSD can do now with its
packet filter

* ENBD support in official kernel with enterprise-class 'through the
network' volume management
< NFS ?

* more and more tunable kernel parameters to be able to have some user
space program which can 'tune' the system for the current load,usage,etc
of the server ("selftune")
<What parameters would you add in procfs ?

* more configuration options to be able to use Linux at the low end as well
(current kernels are too complex, too huge and sometimes contains too
many unwanted features for a simple system, though for most times it is
enough but can be even better)

* Virtual machine support
<Maybe more 3.0 relevant ?

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:49    [W:0.062 / U:0.116 seconds]