    SubjectRe: Things that Longhorn seems to be doing right
    On Wednesday October 29, trelane@digitasaru.net wrote:

    > Regardless, it's an interesting idea, and one which might be fruitful.
    >
    > I give you then two bits: our treatment of the tech and the reality of their
    > tech:
    >
    > 00: ISVAPOR | TAKESEROUSLY
    > 01: ISVAPOR | IGNORE
    > 10: NOTVAPOR | TAKESERIOUSLY
    > 11: NOTVAPOR | IGNORE
    >
    > If we come up with a working implementation and it *is* just vaporware, then
    > we're ahead.
    > We're way ahead.
    >
    > If we merely dismiss it as vaporware and it turns out to be,
    > no net change.
    ...snip...
    > Conclusion: best to take it seriously and work on it; those two cases
    > are the most optimal.

    Sounds like the same argument that is used in "Pascal's Wager" for
    belief in God, and I seriously don't think the argument works in
    either case. (note that I'm not making a statement about the
    conclusion in either case, only about the arguement).

    NeilBrown

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:58    [W:0.022 / U:29.828 seconds]