    SubjectRe: Honest does not pay here ...
    	I believe that the illegality of proprietary kernel modules
    has resulting in more GPL-compatible kernel code than without such
    a restriction.

    Perhaps more people would initially write contributions in the
    absense of such a restriction, but my experience has been that, given
    that choice, enough contributors eventually evolve their policies to
    something not sufficiently free that there is less in total to build
    on, and the net result is that software does not advance in the long
    term as quickly as with something like the GPL. That is one reason
    why this Berkeley alumnus decided to bet on Linux rather than BSD back
    in 1992. It's a complex empirical question. I believe that copying
    conditions have been *one* of the determining factors in adoption of
    Linux versus Berkeley Software Distribution (and I'm not a BSD
    detractor; I'd like to see Linux distributions that could boot dual
    boot a BSD kernel with Linux-compatible system calls, but I digress).

    This brings me to my suggestion for how you could legally
    accomplish what you're trying to do with only modest change in your
    procedures. You could do your proprietary work on BSD and port any
    GPL-compatible stuff that you want to release to Linux. I expect the
    BSD people would probably welcome you and it might even improve
    communication and reduce duplication of effort between BSD and Linux

    Adam J. Richter __ ______________ 575 Oroville Road \ / Milpitas, California 95035
    "Free Software For The Rest Of Us."

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:32    [W:0.019 / U:4.892 seconds]