SubjectRe: Bootscreen
Am Dienstag, 28. Januar 2003 15:32 schrieb Wichert Akkerman:
> Previously Alan Cox wrote:
> > I'd not really pondered people who compile many drivers into their kernel
> > instead of into the initrd. I guess a few people still do that.
> Agreed - what you probably want to do is have a minimal kernel that
> boots an initrd which loads modules for the rest. If the kernel is

Why? If you do an embedded system you go for minimal memory.
You'd probably compile a kernel without module support. You know
which hardware is to be supported, so you gain nothing at all
by using modules.
Frankly, even for a normal system, why compile an initrd for drivers
you need during everyday operation? If you compile yourself at all, why
pay the price in memory and TLB misses?