    SubjectRe: Bootscreen
    Am Dienstag, 28. Januar 2003 15:32 schrieb Wichert Akkerman:
    > Previously Alan Cox wrote:
    > > I'd not really pondered people who compile many drivers into their kernel
    > > instead of into the initrd. I guess a few people still do that.
    > Agreed - what you probably want to do is have a minimal kernel that
    > boots an initrd which loads modules for the rest. If the kernel is

    Why? If you do an embedded system you go for minimal memory.
    You'd probably compile a kernel without module support. You know
    which hardware is to be supported, so you gain nothing at all
    by using modules.
    Frankly, even for a normal system, why compile an initrd for drivers
    you need during everyday operation? If you compile yourself at all, why
    pay the price in memory and TLB misses?

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:32    [W:0.026 / U:38.972 seconds]