    SubjectRe: Bootscreen
    Date
    Am Dienstag, 28. Januar 2003 15:32 schrieb Wichert Akkerman:
    > Previously Alan Cox wrote:
    > > I'd not really pondered people who compile many drivers into their kernel
    > > instead of into the initrd. I guess a few people still do that.
    >
    > Agreed - what you probably want to do is have a minimal kernel that
    > boots an initrd which loads modules for the rest. If the kernel is

    Why? If you do an embedded system you go for minimal memory.
    You'd probably compile a kernel without module support. You know
    which hardware is to be supported, so you gain nothing at all
    by using modules.
    Frankly, even for a normal system, why compile an initrd for drivers
    you need during everyday operation? If you compile yourself at all, why
    pay the price in memory and TLB misses?

    Regards
    Oliver

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:32    [W:0.021 / U:0.136 seconds]